A book that has had a significant positive impact on my life is Principles by Ray Dalio.
Dalio is a billionaire investor, hedge fund manager, and philanthropist. In Principles, he discusses the importance of writing down one’s principles that they live life by, as well as sharing his own.
He tells us that
Being clear on your principles is most important because they will affect all aspects of your life, many times a day. In any relationship, your principles and the other persons will interact. Having shared principles leads to the best relationships, when they’re not shared misunderstandings and conflicts happen.
I agree with this, and it has inspired me to share my own principles below. This list will be updated as I take on new principles that I want to live my life by.
- I will give back more to the world, planet, and human race, than I take from it.
- I will leave my part of the world in a better way than I found it.
- I will rise to every important challenge and tackle it to the best of my ability.
- I will be a strong man and a strong leader, someone who others can lean on, rely on, learn from, and peacefully coexist with.
- Given cause and effect, and Yin and Yang, I will live on the Middle Path.
- I will keep my body fit and healthy.
- I will keep my mind sharp and healthy.
- I will always be a student.
- I will generate peace, love, and compassion.
- I will always speak the truth – except in those very rare situations where it’s best not to.
- I will exercise extreme ownership.
- I will prioritise.
- I will replace chaos with order.
- I will live deliberately.
- I will have thoughtful opinions, held loosely.